Post #5 : Listen to Music to Feel Better!
Hi study buddies! Today, I have selected a special article treating a hot topic : music. For centuries, music has dominated our lives, especially nowadays with Bluetooth technology that connects to portable speakers or wireless headphones. Researchers are now interested in the actual effects that music can have on the mind and the body.
Amy Novotney - Music as medicine
Summary
In this article, Amy Novotney presents six studies that have been done around the effects of music and sounds. Throughout these, it was concluded that music and sounds can help lower stress and pain, improve sleeping patterns, and boost the immune system. Patients in palliative care who took part in singing, playing an instrument or writing lyrics found themselves relieved of pain and symptoms. But music is not only about sounds, which is why a study found out that vibrations can also ease symptoms of physical and psychological illnesses, such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.
Thoughts
Amy Novotney is a Chicago-based writer who specializes in translating medical terminology and research into more understandable words for the broad public for the past 15 years. That information about the author gives me trust about her expertise and credibility. The fact that this article was published in the American Psychology Association's journal also reinforces that trust. I really enjoyed reading this article. It is very well written and the terms used in it are both accurate and simple. I would like to bring up a quote from Lee Bartel, PhD, a professor at the University of Toronto who has led many experiments : "Rather than viewing music only as a cultural phenomenon, the art should be seen as a vibratory stimulus that has cognitive and memory dimensions." (Lee Bartel) I believe that with the social desire to go back to more simple and natural methods, music therapy could likely have its place in tomorrow's medicine.
Link : Novotney, A. (2011). Music as medecine. American Psychology Association, 44(10), 46. https://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/11/music
ReplyDeleteExcellent blog post, Marie-Ode! :)
Here are a few elements to review:
- Use proper citing formats
- Capitalize bluetooth - Bluetooth
- Bluetooth technology
- word choice (research): Amy Novotney presents six research that have been done around
- who has led many research - who has led many research teams? who has led many researchers? who has led many experiments?
Hi Marie-Ode,
ReplyDeleteYou made me discover Amy Novotney and now I might have to look more into her works. I love listening to music and I had an idea it had some good effects on you but not that much! I guess I will listen to even more music now.