Post #4 : For When You Are Bored
Hi study buddies! This week, I have selected two short, fun and interesting TED Talks that will take care of your boredom. Got some time before dinner and you do not feel like starting your homework yet? I got you. Even with the theory and research behind them, these TEDTalks are very easy to understand and interactive.
Ben Ambridge - 9 myths about psychology, debunked (2014)
In this 13-minute TED Talk, university psychology professor at Liverpool and author of a dozen of books, Ben Ambridge, debunks 9 popular myths about psychology. Of course, all of the statements made are supported by studies liked in the "Footnotes" section. First, Ambridge adresses the myth that men and women have very different psychology. Have you ever heard that we only use 10% of our brain? Or maybe that there are different types of learning styles? You are very likely to get surprised. I will not spoil any further, go check them out yourself!
Link :
https://www.ted.com/talks/ben_ambridge_9_myths_about_psychology_debunked
Beau Lotto - Optical illusions show how we see (2009)
Want to get your mind blown for 16 minutes straight? In this TED Talk, Beau Lotto, a neuroscientist and professor at the University of London, defies your vision of the world. Using many little optical illusions and mind games, he shows you, quite literally, how your perception can easily be influenced and biased. You have probably done the optical illusion where you fix a colour or image for a couple seconds and then look at another image and it will magically transform, well, in simple words, Lotto explains the mechanism behind it. Ever wondered why we see colours? The answer is in the first couple seconds of the video!
Link : https://www.ted.com/talks/beau_lotto_optical_illusions_show_how_we_see
Marie-Ode, always a pleasure reading you! I know I might repeat myself, but I really like how you entice your readers. Your writing style a humour is simply fabulous! Please continue being yourself.
ReplyDeleteA few elements to review:
- Capitalize your title
- Hyphenate compound adjectives: 13 minute TED Talk
I learned so much while watching your second TED Talk. I was not aware that this was the way my brain was affected when I was watching an optical illusion. I really like how the specialist explains the mecanism.
ReplyDelete